or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Khador Heavy Warjack plastic kit.

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while. In fact, the subject has been built, painted, and operational for a while now with quite a few battles under its belt.

Privateer Press’ lovely heavy ‘jack kits are screaming for magnets. In Warmachine it’s not a matter of switching a bolter for a plasma gun. You can get away with that. Magnetizing these kits gives you four completely different playing pieces, and it’s well worth the effort.

So after unboxing your kit you’re left with a torso, legs, a couple of shoulder pieces, and a host of heads and arms to personalize your warjack. The first thing I did, and having had the experience of building and painting the metal starter box, was to pose the model in a way only the plastic kit would. I decided to make him stepping over a big rock, therefore I cut part of the left foot to make it bent. Placed the rock, dryfitted my legs to make sure everything was in place, and cut and glued the foot piece in place. After that I glued the legs to the base.

Now comes the easy part before the hard work.

First I drilled both firing weapons for a better look. The Decimator’s gun can be drilled completely while the Destroyer’s cannon it’s up to you how deep you go. I made it just enough to look good when painted. The original piece is way too shallow.

Then, I realized the heads and right-hands-with-huge-axes options were not going to be that heavy. It’s a light resin, so I punched some circles with some office circle-cutting thing (you probably know the name of the tool in English… I do not) from some little metal pie oven trays I keep around to make craters. Those are stuck to the hand and head variants, trimmed a bit, and glued. This is actually looking decent!

Now it’s time for some drilling and magnet gluing… always a bit of a pain. Anyway, I glued a magnet on the neck position, one on each shoulder (on the arms side of course), and the right arm needed to get two magnets, one to attach to the shoulder (so keep your polarities correct!) and the other for the right-hands-with-huge-axes pieces. You are able now to check how those heads fit and even how the axe hands work on the right arm.

After this is done I glued the shoulders, slightly turned in a way they don’t look so stiff, and glue the torso to the legs. You already have your basic model. Everything else will be detachable and usually kept in a ziploc bag for safe-keeping. You can even start painting it in case you take a while with the final step.

This next step is tedious, but obviously important. Drill and glue magnets on every one of the weapon options, checking the polarity on the correct shoulder all the time. You can see I glued the left hand to the arm, since it didn’t need to be a separate option. And yes, after this you’re actually done!!!

So here are the options, clockwise starting from the top: Juggernaut, Destroyer, Decimator, and Marauder. The kit comes with cards for all of them, specially useful the Decimator one since it isn’t in the 2010 card deck.

I’m sure I didn’t cover the process in extreme detail, like where to buy magnets or which glues to use. The thing is, my data won’t mean anything to you (unless you live in Buenos Aires) so go to your friendly hobby shop and ask about magnets, sizes, glues, and of course pick up a heavy warjack kit. Oh yeah, here’s a little something extra for your troubles.

Advertisements